iA Writer is a digital writing tool that makes sure that all your thoughts go into the text instead of the program. Here is what makes iA Writer different:
- Character: No preferences. It is how it is. It works like it works. Love it or hate it.
- Signal vs Noise: Focus mode allows me to think, spell, and write one sentence at a time.
- Speed: Writer works without mouse. Automarkdown formats semantic entities such as headlines, lists, bold, strong, block quotes written in markdown.
Note: Currently only Latin alphabet and Russian languages are supported (no Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabian…).
Character: No Preferences
One of our goals was to create a writing app without settings. When opening Writer, all you can do is write. The only option you have is full screen and FocusMode.
Signal vs. Noise: Focus Mode (patent pending)
In Focus Mode you write one sentence at a time. Why? It,s a common pattern, that, instead of following the voice and fleshing out the text in one go, people start editing before the text is done. This is because we,re more easily distracted by signals similar to those we produce (text), than by signals that are different (the browser icon).
How to Use It: Writing one sentence at a time goes hand-in-hand with this rule of thumb for good writing: one thought per sentence. You might not like it because it,s not your thing. Fair enough. But if you ever get caught in one of those moments where the big white empty window scares you or when you get stuck in the middle of a text, try Focus Mode.
Speed: No Mouse
Auto Markdown will help you to format texts without letting off your keyboard. It,s easy. You can learn it in 30 seconds:
- # Headline 1
- ## Headline 2
- ### Headline 3
- 1. Numbered lists
- – Hyphenated Lists
- * Starred lists
- We also use *emphasis* and **strong**
Last but not least we use the Markdown for block quotes to make sure that quotes stand out as they are supposed to.
Auto Markdown automatically formats the Markdown language. The advantage is that you don,t need to use your mouse to create semantic structure.
To increase the pleasure of writing is exactly what we intended when creating Writer. A better tool doesn,t make a better craftsman, but a good tool makes working a pleasure.
- Quickly access your Library Locations and Favorites (folders and files) in Organizer
- Drag and drop folders from Finder to add them as Library Locations
- Drag and drop folders and files from within Library to save them as Favorites
- Drag and drop to reorder Library Locations and Favorites
- Favorites get automatic keyboard shortcuts in the new Go menu
Select Multiple Files
- Shift-Click to select a contiguous range
- Command-Click to select multiple arbitrary files
- Multiple files can be moved to another folder or added to a document as content blocks
- Library remembers navigation history
- Use familiar navigation keys in title bar to go back and forward
- Click and hold navigation keys to access navigation history
- Filter in Library finds files in only the currently visible folder
- Change sort order of Filter in Library
- Switch to dark app icon in General preferences
- Added task stats
- Use Control-Tab and Control-Shift-Tab to switch between Organizer, File Browser, and Editor without taking your hands off keyboard
- Upgraded advanced search syntax with more flexible queries
- Added stats toolbar (access in contextual menu or View > Toolbar)
- Improved word and sentence count accuracy
- Added French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Chinese localizations
- Added Cyrillic to iA Writer Duospace font
- Fixed an issue where images could not be dropped into Library from Safari, Photos
- Fixed an issue where app could freeze while showing folders with a large amount of images
- Fixed an issue where app could freeze while removing large Library Locations
- Fixed an issue where multiple content blocks dropped onto Editor were inserted in reverse order
- Fixed an issue where tabs were always visible in full screen
- Fixed an issue where cursor position could be lost when enabling syntax control
- Fixed an issue where some text failed to draw correctly after undoing some text editing commands
OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor