Pacifist is an application for Mac OS X that opens up .pkg installer packages, .dmg disk images, .zip, .tar. tar.gz, .tar.bz2, .pax, and .xar archives and more, and lets you extract or install individual files out of them. This is useful if you need to install just one file out of a package instead of the entire package (for example, if you deleted your Preview application and need to reinstall it, but not the whole operating system), or if you want to inspect a downloaded package to see what it will do before installing it. Pacifist can also load some archive types over HTTP, in case you want to extract just a single file from a large .zip archive without waiting for the entire archive to download. Finally, Pacifist can examine the kernel extensions installed in your system to let you see what installer installed them, and whether the installer was made by Apple or a third-party.
- Suppressed a number of “Duplicate XML Element” errors when loading some packages
- Fixed a few crashing bugs
- Fixed a bug that could cause the QuickLook plugin not to work on some systems
- Using the “View” function on text files should now cause them to open in a standard text view like in 2.6.x instead of in the QuickLook viewer as in 3.0, allowing them to be selectable and searchable
- Fixed a bug that could cause dates not to appear correctly in the verification reports
- Fixed a bug that could cause resources not to load properly for packages inside disk images